This was one of the last remaining schooners known on the Gulf coast as a "Snapper smack". It was originaly the schooner "Virginia" and was built in Essex, Mass in 1910. It was rebuilt in Florida in 1926 or 1927 and was given the new name "Buccaneer". This photo was taken as it lay on the west side of the causeway that goes to the Bayfront Auditorium in 1970. It was used in the movie "The Buccaneer" as a prop. It was docked at Runyan's Shipyard for some years after that and was eventually broken up due to its poor condition.
[Return to Old Boat & Ship Gallery Page]
[Return to Pensacola Maritime History Page]