Bayou Chico - A diversified waterway.

Small freighter at dock.

Bayou Chico, located between downtown Pensacola and the Naval Station, is a growing "mixed use" area. The bayou is home to many maritime related industries and businesses as well as recreational and residential uses. A tug and barge channel which runs the lenght of the main portion of the bayou was created in 1917 to accomodate the liberty ships that were built by the Pensacola Shipbuilding Company during World War One. This photo shows a small ship loading coated natural gas pipe which has been trucked in and coated on a portion of the old shipyard property. It is part of a growing maritime renaissance in the Pensacola area.

Return to the Bayfront Page

Return to Pensacola Maritime History Page